California home warranty options
Whether you’re a new home buyer, selling a home or a current homeowner, finding a California home warranty plan is a good idea. A home warranty plan is a service agreement that protects home systems and major appliances, providing you peace of mind.
While almost everyone has homeowners insurance, which protects the structure of the home, many people are unaware that getting a home warranty plan can provide coverage for the repair and replacement of many high-value items in their home.
You can pay for a home warranty plan annually or through a monthly premium. You can also choose whether to cover major appliances like clothes washers and dryers, built-in systems like heating and plumbing or both. These plans cover normal wear and tear, which homeowners insurance doesn’t usually cover. So, if your dishwasher breaks, you don’t need to worry about how much it will cost you.
If you’re in the market and want to find the best home warranty company in California, read on. This article covers everything you need to know about home warranty plans in California so that you can find one that’s right for you.
Are home warranties worth it in California?
The quick answer is yes, home warranty plans are worth it — and here’s a hypothetical to help you understand why. Imagine it’s the hottest day of the summer. Your air conditioning has been working full blast all day when it sputters and dies. Not only are inside temperatures about to become intolerable, but you call a local repair person to come out and fix it for around $500 for the service fee and parts.
If you had a home warranty plan, you wouldn’t need to think twice about the cost because it’s likely covered if you have comprehensive coverage. In fact, as long as your contract is up to date, you won’t have to worry the next time the dryer stops drying or your clothes washer stops washing.
A home warranty saves you when it comes to finding a contractor, as well. Cinch Home Services, for example, has over 18,000 vetted and licensed contractors in its network. And at the time of the service request, you’re usually only responsible for the deductible you selected at signup.
The benefits of a home warranty in California are many, including the following:
- Covers what homeowners insurance doesn’t: Homeowners insurance policies cover damage caused by unforeseen, catastrophic events, such as weather, fire, or water damage. But they won’t cover damages to major appliances or home system breakdowns unless it’s the direct result of a particular catastrophe. A home warranty, on the other hand, will.
- No surprise expenses: If you’re like many, you budget carefully for your expenses. A sudden $500 to fix the HVAC or $1,000 to replace the water heater can throw your finances out of whack. With a home warranty, you would only pay a service call fee or deductible to cover these repairs and replacements.
- Vetted service technicians: Home warranty companies have a network of vetted service technicians. So, when you move to a new home in Los Angeles or San Francisco, you don’t need to find a qualified service provider in your area to fix your refrigerator. You simply request a service call online and have it repaired quickly.
Home warranty plans available for California homeowners
California residents have many home warranty plan providers to choose from. Most home warranty companies break their plans down into different types of coverage. Cinch’s coverage plans come in three basic varieties:
- A plan that covers appliances: This basic plan includes the replacement and repair of major home appliances, such as washers and dryers, cooktops, dishwashers, ice makers, microwaves, refrigerators, ovens and trash compactors.
- A plan that covers built-in systems and their respective components: This includes the replacement and repair of major systems and specific components, including air conditioning and ductwork, ceiling fans, doorbells, garbage disposals, heating systems, plumbing systems, smoke detectors and sump pumps.
- A plan that covers both: This comprehensive plan includes coverage from both mentioned plans along with up to $500 per year in homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement.
All plans include a 180-day workmanship guarantee, protection for unknown pre-existing conditions, rust and corrosion coverage and discounts on new appliances. Check out the Cinch home protection plans page to learn more about what’s covered in each plan and explore optional add-ons.
Specific coverage options you’ll want in California
California residents may find certain optional coverages particularly useful due to the climate and common home features in the state. Traditional and add-on coverage options you’ll want to consider include:
- Air conditioning: It’s important to keep your home cool in hot regions of Southern California. Not only can a broken air conditioner lead to sweat and misery, but larger systems can be costly to service.
- Pool/spa: If you have a pool or pool/spa combination, you might want to consider comprehensive coverage that protects above-ground components, the filtration system, the pool heater and pipes and wiring.
- Smoke detectors: California has seen some intense wildfire seasons in recent years, making it especially important that homeowners have working smoke detectors. Consider ensuring that your home warranty plan includes the upkeep of smoke detectors.
The local weather conditions where you live can affect the normal wear and tear on your major appliances and home systems. California is known for mild winters and warm to hot summers. Winter rainfall can lead to higher moisture in the air, increasing normal wear and tear and contributing to rusting. A home warranty plan will make it easier to handle repair costs that pop up as the weather changes.
How much do home warranties cost in California?
The pricing of home warranty plans in California depends on the plan options and coverage you choose. Cinch lists starting prices of $27.99 per month for the appliances plan, $32.99 per month for the built-in systems plan, and $39.99 per month for the complete home combo plan. However, base price can vary by region, and California state and local sales taxes may apply.
If you’d like a better idea of how affordable home warranty coverage can be in California, you can get a free quote in as little as 10 seconds just by entering your ZIP code. The website will then direct you to choose your deductible and plan, have the option to add other coverage and receive an immediate estimate of what you can expect to pay for that coverage.
Keep in mind that without a home warranty plan, what you’d have to pay out of pocket if a major appliance or home system needs unexpected repairs is likely to eclipse the annual cost of a plan, making the investment worth it.
Who is the best home warranty provider in California?
The best home warranty plan provider is one that best suits your personal warranty needs. As you seek that optimal plan provider, look for details on the following:
- Plan options: Thoroughly examine the different home warranty offers from each provider. If you have particular coverage you’re seeking, such as coverage for your swimming pool, septic system or well pump, you want to make sure those options are available.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating: The BBB has been around for over a century, with the goal of advancing marketplace trust. To that end, they offer detailed ratings of businesses.
- Plan management features: Look into how easy it is to manage your plan, make payments or adjust coverage. Does the provider have an online portal, for example, or do they require you to call customer service every time you need something?
- On-call service: Ideally, you should be able to make a service request anytime, 24/7. After all, plumbing stoppages and exploding water heaters don’t care what time it is. In addition to availability, make sure you know how to make service requests. Are requests handled quickly, or can you expect lengthy delays? What’s in the service contract?
- Pricing: Of course, you’ll want to compare prices between different providers. But you must also weigh pricing against features and coverage. Saving $10 per month on coverage may not be worth it if your deductible is three times as high.
Cinch offers customers welcomed transparency when it comes to understanding what our home warranty plans do and don’t cover.
Find the perfect home warranty for Your California home today
Cinch offers multiple coverage options for California homeowners and is available to process service requests 24/7. Discover the warranty plans that Cinch offers and request a free quote for your California home today.